Pages

Sunday 1 June 2014

Why I will never again employ a PADI Course Director

As both a former dive store owner and dive instructor, I thought the PADI Course Director was the pinnacle of non-commercial dive employment - I was wrong. Notwithstanding the oversupply of Course Directors PADI has created, it is both the quality of the product they churn out and the attitude that PADI instills in their highest designation that irks me.


Firstly, let's get this straight, I am not a frustrated wannabe who missed the opportunity to rise to PADI's highest level. I was offered canditure on the course, I was neither a PADI Staff Instructor nor a Master Instructor.

I easily met the con-ed ratio, had the correct number of certifications and experience. When you have a high certification dive centre pushing you, they find ways, they have confidentiality clauses to ensure you don't let the diving world know what really happened.

But lets face it, that can be manipulated as I once did to get one of our Staff Instructors on the course as a dive store manager. Strangely, he wasn't even the best instructor we had, but he had the money to pay for the course and even more importantly, he was friends with a high profile PADI Course Director.

As for me, I refused the offer of a free Course Director course a number of years later, even though at the time I was working for a high profile PADI dive centre. I knew I didn't want to go down this route, I had to stand by my personal convictions and refuse because I knew I could not keep my end of the bargain.

Nothing is free, I would have been encumbered to the business to pump out instructors at a great rate of knots. That's fair enough, but I would also be required to be down the business every living moment. Actually, I was anyway at that stage but it was my choice and I could leave at any point with no ill feelings.

A Course Director is a dive instructor first and foremost, if you have entry level divers that need training, that is their job. Likewise, if you need tanks filled, equipment sorted and washed - they need to get in and work too.

I have had the case where as the business owner, I had to get in and do entry level courses because our messiah like Course Director refused to do so. Salary wise, you pay over and above a normal dive instructor so they had better make sure they perform above an average instructor, mind you - the money as a dive instructor isn't much.

Likewise, as per the PADI code of ethical behaviour, you would expect such a highly rated PADI designation to adhere to the ethics and not act in a dishonest manner, steal from you or send your customers to your competitors or act in a fraudulent manner. Yeah, try and take on the might of the PADI Quality Assurance department and see how you fare.

7 comments:

  1. Great blog! One of my dreams was to become Scuba Diving Instructor and a few months ago it became a truth. I visited one of my best friends at Indonesia and he show me this guys Trawangan Dive which are offering different kind of PADI training. Highly recommended! If someone is curious may find more information here - http://scubaharbor.com/padi-instructor-development-course-idc-gili-islands-indonesia.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the future, I would only hire a contract Course Director for individual IDCs; instead training up inexperienced dive instructors who are keen and lacking an attitude of superiority. Why not give an upcoming instructor a chance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better not to employ them because they are mostly deadbeats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not. I work hard. I fi tanks. I clean toilets. Generalizing is a cheap shot. I call bull crap. Spoken by someone who worked for it and paid for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish this so called cheap shot was cheap, the actions of this particular PADI Course Director cost me a lot of money. The cost of lawyers and court time to gain financial recourse would certainly outweigh possible gains and I was advised by a lawyer to cut my losses and not throw further money away chasing this up even though it was likely I would win the case.

      Delete
  5. Interesting point of view - I can see why you fell that way as I share sommon views on the subject; PADI are creating way too many Course Director (and Instructors for that matter) and I know many who took the shortest path to get there. Personnaly, I'm a Course Director and I worked my ass hard to get there. I manage my own dive shop and continue to to DSD, wash the toilet and fill tanks. Being a Course Director is being a role model, and this is something that many of my peers simply forgot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is indeed role model behaviour that you described. I know a number of excellent course directors who would be a successful trainer in any industry. My personal experiences with an increasing number of course directors including one in particular who was stealing from the very business that employed him really changed my perception.

      Delete