Pages

Sunday 8 June 2014

Backpacking technology

Backpacking has certainly changed since I first left the comforts of Perth in search of excitement, challenges, enlightenment and culture in the mid 90s. It is now 2014 and technology encroaches on our every day life. As I wandered Dubai and the streets of Rome, everybody was using a Galaxy smartphone, or to a lesser degree an iPhone to organise their lives.


My choice of technology is my 10.1 Galaxy tablet, I also have an older 7.0 as a back-up device, both fit easily into my bag, the 7.0 is easier to carry around but lacks some of the functionability of the newer device. This wonderful device not only doubles as a camera, it has almost rendered my FujiFilm digital camera obsolete, it is able to immediately upload pictures to my G+ or Facebook account as soon as an internet connection presents.

My digital camera firstly has to be connected to a computer, pictures uploaded to the drive and then online. The quality of the images is astounding, I would never had expected such quality from the lens provided.

The GPS function allows you to exactly pinpoint your position without the need for WiFi connectivity. When travelling on the train and the bus, this important feature allows you to track you current and proposed location with a road map indicating streets and major features such as train stations, monuments, hotels and hospitals. If you fall asleep, you can immediately find your location - I wish I had this feature a decade or so ago, it was literally impossible to carry the full array of maps for multiple countries if you wanted some space in your backpack.

Researching and booking accommodation is easy, Trip Advisor, Booking.com or Lonely Planet is an excellent tool to connect to such services, prices can be checked and compared. Once upon a time, a guide book gave the best backpacker accommodation details, the information could be obsolete before the book went to print. Now, immediate price comparrisons are made ensuring best value and competition, furthermore, you are able to critique and rate establishments - they can't pull any of their old style stunts to rip-off unsuspecting travellers, word gets around so quick in the information age.

No comments:

Post a Comment