Pages

Thursday 26 June 2014

Derby day 2013

Derby day was upon us, the 14th of July 2013 - the epic battle between the Fremantle Football Club and the West Coast Eagles Football Club. One could argue a battle between good versus evil, a family club and a club aligned with organised crime and prolific drug use.


My afternoon was spent down the Mount Hospital, right on the of Kings Park, my father had his chest opened up a week or so before, he was out of ICU and in the general wards with the rest of the mob wandering the corridors clutching a small pillow to their chest to make certain they didn't split their stitches open and rupture their sternum.

Eleven months later, I myself was having a heart procedure. Mine, of course, was much less dramatic as I wandered into the hospital at 7 am and out again on the same day at 3.30 pm. My old man had a couple of those as well before the cutter got hold of him, you don't have to be at the game to support the team.

We are back in derby week again, last year's grand finalists are seeking to cement their position in the top 4; West Coast on the other hand is seeking to consolidate their position in the top 12.

Not only did my old man recover, he was able to make the journey to the MCG for grand final day, looking good for 2014 as well, pretty much a year later, he will be at the game cheering from the three tier stand.

My brother-in-law, another long time Fremantle supporter was not so fortunate; his rapid onset of a lung & heart condition ended his life prematurely, he won't be attending any further games.

A year ago, much was happening in the life of my family, it still is touch and go, purple blood flowing through the veins - Fremantle to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment