Pages

Tuesday 6 April 2021

Setting my nephew in the right direction

After my nephew turned eighteen, he completed secondary school better known as high school here. He won't be attending university, I was looking to help get him an apprenticeship in a technical trade as soon as he completes high school, that didn't happen right away unfortunately, but he got there.


Now he has an apprenticeship, I will be making sure he signs up to an industry superannuation fund. I would choose Australian Super for him and will advise him on such matters. I will hope he will match employer contributions so he won't face the issues his father or myself faced when we began paid employment.

He will initially complain about a lack of disposable income no doubt, this especially hurts on apprentice wages. But setting the foundation of saving for retirement at the beginning of his working life will pay dividends in the long-term. A little short-term pain for long-term gain is required, setting him on a path of saving that will change his life.

He enjoys the folly of youth, he has a pretty full social calendar. Sure, he spends a little too much on the party lifestyle, he burns through his money. As his uncle, I need to exert some influence making sure he is headed in the right direction in life. Ultimately, it is his life to lead - I am pretty sure he will strike a balance between living and saving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment