Pages

Thursday 24 September 2020

Still diving my VR3

I get these unusual looks when I go diving; new divers watch in amazement when I strap on my old but reliable VR3 dive computer.


The technology may be equivalent to Microsoft's Windows 95 software; however, the algorithm is better than many modern computers and in terms of functionality, the VR3 was ahead of its time and stands up well.

The computer is bulky, it is the equivalent of an old style mobile phone housing with an operating system just as good as the latest release. In terms of trusting the algorithm. I will always dive any new computer side-by-side with my VR3 to verify the program.

This is why I played around with the pressure gradients to get my OSTC diving right. I have had plenty of decompression-stop dives with my VR3 and trust the program. Whilst I now have more modern dive computers, the VR3 will always be used for extended range dives as my reserve computer.

1 comment: