Pages

Thursday 17 September 2020

Diving Blue Corner - Palau

I was working in Guam in the late 90s and I was sent down to Palau for a week to repair a drag line we had dredging the harbour in Koror. I had my flights booked and the job had to be completed within the time frame, I had a team to work with down there and we pushed real hard to get the job done within the time frame.


The job was completed a day early and I was off diving for the final day, we worked back every afternoon for those six days to get the job completed. Our itinerary for the day was Blue Corner followed by the Big Drop Off and a night dive later on.

We were handed reef hooks, this was the first time I had ever used one so I was kind of interested in what this site had to offer if this is how they dive it. I think reef hooks are a brilliant idea, used correctly they really save the reef is strong currents.

Blue Corner is every bit as good as people say it is - we hooked onto the reef and sat in the current with the sharks, barracuda and pelagics out in the current hunting. I was counting sharks as they swam by before I thought to myself, why waste my time counting sharks?

Blue Corner is a sensational dive, I was lucky I was there in the late 90s, it was a good time to be diving with enough infrastructure and no overcrowding. Just enjoy your time hooked to the reef, watch the big fish swim past you and make the moment count - I did just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment