Pages

Tuesday 26 May 2020

The dark art of leadership

I am astounded to actually witness a lack of leadership in the workplace; after reading text after text on the mechanics of leadership; all that it has served to do is enlighten me on the absolute lack of leadership displayed in my former workplace.


However, this leadership vacuum in my former workplace has been somewhat to my advantage, I am able to fill the void to provide direction, purpose and motivation. Then never learned that a vacuum has to be filled by something - a bit of an oversight.

Likewise, I have also been able to fuel what would be considered by some as uprisings from the workforce when needed as the team leader does not act in the best interests of the team. The old adage of keeping friends close and enemies closer is not applied here.

Leadership is a little more than hanging apparent inspiring posters up on the walls with pictures of eagles soaring on thermal currents or mountaineers standing on the edge overlooking the cliff face and canyon.

Leadership is fulfilling a vision, providing focus, motivation, empowering team members and providing support; at times, leadership requires powers of persuasion and negotiation. If you are not doing this, then this isn't leadership. 

No comments:

Post a Comment