Pages

Thursday 21 May 2020

Autum crowds in Bruges

Even in autumn, I could not believe the crowds that descended upon Bruges, we struggled to move freely, we bumped into people and we could hardly move at times in the city centre. The train from Brussels took about an hour and ten minutes, I love this European train network.


You can't complain when you are adding to the mass of numbers, I just wasn't expecting what I considered to be summer crowds in autumn. As we stepped on the train at Brussels Nord we were guaranteed a seat, we knew the return trip would off no such luxuries as our return trip on the same train just a couple of days before offered no such luxuries.

I could hardly believe Bruges was so crowded for a weekday that wasn't summer holidays or any other holiday for that matter. I can understand the locals getting peeved at the the congestion in their city. I am not sure what winter holds for locals, there may be some respite from the onslaught of tourists. They might even be employed in the hospitality industry and benefit from tourists.

No comments:

Post a Comment