Pages

Tuesday 14 April 2020

Still working

As I am still working, there is no social distancing and no extra cleaning of classrooms or work areas - they don't clean at all. So I have Pine O Clean disinfectant to clean my desk and the two desks near mine.


I then go up and clean the classroom before class, there should be people cleaning all the door handles, hand-rails and other shared areas. Unfortunately, there wasn't so I had to do myself during the day.

They pretty much aren't cleaning, the rooms are not even cleaned at night as I notice the students leave their books and papers on their desks overnight and they are in the exact same position in the morning.

There should be hand sanitiser issued to lecturers and they should ensure the class sanitises their hands and there isn't, the management is negligent, they should be all over this and they aren't. I was pretty concerned, this is how the virus is transmitted. 

They go attend meaningless meetings like normal and achieve very little so it is business as normal. Needless to say, you don't see them down in our area, they have made an art form of social distancing and invisibility.

So I push on, three lectures have taken leave, I have my hand sanitiser and I have trained myself to not touch my face with my hands. My motto now is be careful not careless, tomorrow I will be down the workshop teaching electronic control systems sharing laptop computers and tools. 

We have staff walking around coughing and not covering their mouths, to be fair, he has apparently had this illness since last winter so it can't be China virus and he just makes us sick with the standard flu instead - I think that's fair.

Then that all changed, the education unions met with the state government and they called an end to classes in the lead up to Easter and school holidays. This was a good move and not unexpected, hence why I rushed to finish my class early, it was final year apprentices and now they are ready to be signed off as they come out of contract.

I have no issues with working through the coronavirus pandemic. All I ask is the management procure the required safety equipment, create proper procedures for running classes and ensure the required products like hand sanitiser is available to everyone. 

Don't forget the cleaning, that means getting out of their offices and walking around to see how everything is working. This is the role of management, they cannot offload their responsibilities anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment