Pages

Saturday 4 May 2019

Heading to Johannesburg

My final day of employment in the Western Australian government began with 4 hours of sick leave on Friday morning. I was departing for South Africa at 11:45 the next evening and I still hadn't had my Yellow Fever vaccination.


This was cutting it close but not that close, it was mid January and we were unable to obtain the required vaccination as I guess the live culture was in short supply due to the Christmas shutdown period.

Through the medical centre, they had tracked down a single dose of the vaccine that was held a a pharmacy- that was a lucky break. We nearly had to delay my mobilisation to site, I would then have to wait another week - a terrible outcome.

I had been waiting weeks for the vaccine but the lab was unable to supply, I was getting concerned as the last thing I wanted was to be stopped at the border and denied entry into the country. This was not how I wanted to start a new job, detained at the border requiring assistance from company representatives.

I had decided to return to work for two weeks in 2019 despite holding a firm offer of employment, I would be able to use some of my professional leave for 2019 and 4 of the 16 hours of non-accruing sick leave. 

My accruing sick leave stood at 165 days that I had accumulated over the years, I couldn't cash that in, but I had always kept a reserve in case of major illness, I am careful in such an instance as I am getting older and suffered some slight illness.

So everything was now in order, I had dinner and drinks at my parents house Friday night, sailing Saturday afternoon and then head home, pack my bags and head to the airport. Life is pretty good, I have no complaints, I am off on my next adventure and I am really looking forward to this next phase of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment