Pages

Thursday 24 August 2017

The pretender

I have plenty of Jackson Browne songs I like - I reckon The Pretender would have to top that list, it's a pretty long list too. The lyrics tell a story and I believe Jackson Browne is a master storyteller, he maintains high ethical values in an industry and age beset by materialism in the never ending chase for album sales,downloads, merchandising and endorsement deals.


The song centres on the disillusionment of working Americans, their plight to make ends meet along with their hopes and aspirations for the future. Despite the catchy tune, I really love the lyrics, Browne is creating a narrative for the working classes of which I am one, albeit not American, but the value of the lyrics is that many of us can relate to this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment