Pages

Saturday 19 August 2017

Invest in yourself

It takes a certain degree of courage to invest in yourself, there is usually a large financial and time effort required - self-doubt inevitably follows. Will this investment in time and effort pay off? Post graduate education can take up to four years part time, that is a sizable time investment - it changes your life.


Your social life is non-existant; your friends are going out and you are invited. Naturally you decline as you have a chapter of a reference book to read and digest or a paper to write. After a while, the offers stop coming and you can follow their exploits through Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Tumblr when you take a break from research or writing up assignments. Although, don't spend too long following their social status posts as you are likely to lose focus and become distracted.

Will you get that promotion? Will you pick up a higher paying job at another company? Will your qualification even be recognised? Is what you learnt relevant? Will you be able to execute your new skills? I don't know as I am not there yet but I am fortunate enough to be employed throughout and I won't have a huge debt at the end as I pay the individual units off as I go. Whilst a top-tier international institution like Insead has links to industry, an MBA in a second or third tier business school isn't likely to yield the same results.

Then there is the employment cycle, the West Australian job market peaked in 2012/13. From 2014 we were in steep decline, with 2015 showing no improvement and 2016 not much better. With 2017 still depressed with more jobs being shed and 2018 looking poor, the short-term to medium outlook doesn't look great. As I will be finishing my qualification in mid 2017; despite the decision to invest in myself - I am not filled with confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment