Pages

Tuesday 5 July 2016

Finally fixing my inflator

I purchased an Apollo EX2000 BCD way back in 2002 and have never bothered to service the unit. For a long time it was my first choice BCD until it was replaced with a Scubapro T-Black and retired to travel duties. I worked on the theory that this was a reasonably lightweight BCD well suited for airline weight limitations, I also retired by jetfins from travel duties and replaced them with lightweight Mares x-stream fins.


The inflator hasn't worked for about 7 years, since I never use it. I just disconnected the inflator hose as it self-inflated with the jammed inflator button - no big deal. My recent trip to Easy Divers in Sipalay saw me run foul of the dive centre management. The dive staff informed me of my constantly inflating jacket as they set my gear up as this is all part of the service here, my casual response didn't impress the German dive centre manager.

When I told them not to worry about it they went into a flat spin, I have been diving for a decade in the Philippines and this is the first time I was questioned about the state of my equipment. They took my BCD off of me and quickly ran it through their repair centre. They stripped the inflator mechanism down, cleaned the internals and returned it to me - I was astounded.

Unfortunately I am a creature of habit and never used it during the trip. Once you are correctly weighed with a balanced scuba unit and old and beaten up 3mm wetsuit, there is no need to inflate your buoyancy control device - thanks for the repairs though.

2 comments:

  1. Great service, though! And a great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good service and highly unexpected, I would go back and dive with Easy Divers in Sipalay any time. What I noticed was that his clientele were all repeat customers coming back every year.

      Delete