Pages

Saturday 2 April 2016

Pakistani Easter outrage

I was at our holiday house with my family over the Easter break when I switched the ABC news on. Our only complaint was the number of small children running around making noise as the adults were trying to relax - not a big deal really. I was up late the night before to watch Kohli and Dhoni steer the Indian cricket team home against Australia in the T20 quarter final. 


We were playing because we defeated Pakistan only a few days before; to my way of thinking, cricket is a game that brings nations together. I believe the domestic T20 competitions recruiting international players embeds the notion of diverse player groups as team mates when international matches are played - this can only be a positive.

The news headlines flashed on to inform us a bomb had been detonated in Pakistan, the neighbouring nation to where the T20 world cup was being played. The bomb was detonated in a park targeting the Christian minority celebrating Easter Sunday. I saw the face of a woman who had one small girl killed in the blast, her other young daughter was missing - presumably dead. This was a sickening moment, this poor woman was not alone in her loss, there was 65 dead and the toll was expected to rise.

I have to ask, what type of evil satanic cult would target women and children playing in a park? I constantly ask myself why the world we all inhabit has sunk to such levels of depravity? Why do we so hate people who hold differing religious views that much that we have to murder them? Our world is in a dangerous phase, these fundamental views of religious intolerance and hatred threaten our whole existence.

I don't believe wholesale migration is the answer, large inflows of Muslim immigrants into Christian society only transfers the problem from one continent to another without addressing the underlying issues. I don't try to imply that the Christian world is without its problems in regards to history or the future direction of Christianity. I am saying we are not seeing the proportionate levels of violence directed against diverging views. 


I am fortunate to live in a country where freedom of religion is accepted along with freedom of speech and the freedom to pursue my life as I see fit. At some stage, we have to ask, when are we as Earth's inhabitants going to say - enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment