Pages

Saturday 23 April 2016

2013 Hay Shed Hill Cabernet Sauvignon revisited

I purchased a bottle of 2013 Hay Shed Hill cabernet sauvignon and was must admit I was fairly disappointed. While I am very supportive of this winemaker after having purchased numerous vintages over the years, I thought the 2013 was lacking. 


I have visited the vineyard down at Margaret River and loved the soft smooth notes of the pitchfork cabernet sauvignon range. I was particularly impressed with the 2012 cabernet sauvignon, I suppose I expected a degree of consistency I had not found in the 2013 vintage. 

Were my expectations too high? Had I opened this bottle of wine too early so that it had not developed as hoped? But as I had so many great experiences from Hay Shed Hill, I knew this was probably me on a bad day so I needed to revisit the 2013 cabernet sauvignon to be sure.

I found the 2013 to hold none of the virtues of the complex yet smooth 2012 vintage. I found this vintage to be fairly nondescript and lacking the complexity of this range - that was unexpected. I do ask myself, was this just me? Was I just being overly sensitive? 

Were my expectations too high as I have come to expect a certain standard from a high quality wine producer? What I do know is this won't stop me drinking Hay Shed Hill cabernet sauvignon, I have had too many great experiences over the years to sook too long. As it turned out, I liked the next bottle of 2013, maybe I was just having a bad day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment