Pages

Saturday 1 December 2018

Lacking MBA networking opportunities

Online learning has many advantages over traditional classroom learning environments for select subjects. Naturally, not all subjects and disciplines lend themselves to online learning strategies, business and management is one such subject - business theory is easily disseminated online.


The biggest disadvantage of online learning strategies is the lack of networking opportunities and inclusion factors. After I completed my online MBA that was pretty much it, I flew down to Adelaide to pick up my certificate at the graduation ceremony where I had never met any of my classmates.

My plan was to network with my classmates that I had never met, swap business cards and speak of potential opportunities, business ideas and industry news. I never met up, networked or discussed opportunities with any class mates or university staff, it was very disappointing.

Whilst not meeting one class mate or academic staff connected to my MBA education eventuated, what I immediately noticed was every body just stood around in their graduating groups. I quickly learnt these groups were filled with face-to-face graduates who all knew each other through shared class time and experiences, no doubt many were now friends out of class.

As I stood in line waiting for my academic robes, I listened to these graduating students discuss their work placements and new employment opportunities arising from their study. A number had picked up state government positions whilst the rest were employed in private enterprise. My post-graduate education experiences were vastly different to their under-graduate studies and job network.

While I searched for my classmates, none of whom I actually knew, these were just names from our online interactions. I was expecting the university to organise groupings led by the academic staff, none of the academic staff were present, this was disappointing. I walked around introducing myself, I had identified the faculty colours but met not one person I knew.

I am glad I came down to Adelaide a few days early to sightsee with my father, I had planned to quickly fly down, attend the graduation and immediately return home. I'm glad I chose to look around Adelaide and surrounds, we had a fun time over five days and this wasn't a wasted trip after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment