Pages

Tuesday 20 November 2018

Cold Chisel - Twentieth Century

Twentieth Century was the final studio album released after Cold Chisel disbanded in acrimony and bitter disputes in December 1983. Cold Chisel has been described as not the best band in Australia, nor the most internationally renowned band, but Cold Chisel was the quintessential Australian pub rock band with a loyal following.


I have always liked the title song Twentieth Century, a catchy harmonic tune that I understood was never going to be the most popular but I like what I like. Flame Trees was undoubtedly the best song of the album, written by Don Walker and Steve Prestwich, the country town of Grafton was where Walker had spent his youth. Ironically, Grafton is famous for Jacaranda trees but I am informed difficult to fit into the tune of the song; however, Prestwich was the initial writer with Walker taking over. I am informed that the band were so hostile towards each other that the album was recorded in stages. I had always thought Prestwich returned to record the album after being fired on the previous tour  but was surprised to learn that he played the farewell tour and not the album. I had to check this against the CD I have in my collection. 

Songs from the album:
  1. Build This Love.
  2. Twentieth Century.
  3. Ghost Town.
  4. Saturday Night.
  5. Painted Doll.
  6. No Sense.
  7. Flame Trees.
  8. Only One.
  9. Hold Me Tight.
  10. Sing to Me.
  11. The Game.
  12. Janelle.
  13. Temptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment