Pages

Tuesday 22 May 2018

The Dream of the Blue Turtles

When Sting released The Dream of the Blue Turtles back in 1985 I didn't race out and immediately purchase the album; well, I didn't need to as a number of singles got plenty of air time on the radio.


The album reached number one in Australia so we never really needed to race out and purchase the album, a friend had this in his collection so we listened to his. It wasn't until twelve years after the album's release that I really became interested in The Dream of the Blue Turtles. I was working in Turkey in a dive shop in the Mediterranean village of Kaş and we had a cassette in the vehicle.

At the end of each day we would collect all the used scuba cylinders and take them up to the compressor for filling. Needless to say, we listened to that cassette over and over on a daily basis - we never got sick of it. Even if we swapped cassettes during filling, The Dream of the Blue Turtles would end up in the player again. It wasn't until my return to Australia that I finally purchased my own CD of this album for my collection.

My favourite song on the album is Russians, the nuclear disarmament melody. I really identify with Children's Crusade and the young lives lost in World War I and We work the Black Seam, the plight of underground miners and the UK coal miner's strike in the UK. Even after all this time The Dream of the Blue Turtles is still one of my favourite albums.  
  1. If You Love Somebody Set Them Free
  2. Love Is The Seventh Wave 
  3. Russians
  4. Children's Crusade 
  5. Shadows In The Rain 
  6. We Work The Black Seam
  7. Consider Me Gone
  8. The Dream Of The Blue Turtles
  9. Moon Over Bourbon Street
  10. Fortress Around Your Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment