Pages

Saturday 17 October 2015

Singapore Airlines service decline

I understand you can have a bad day at the office, so when Singapore Airlines cabin crew have a bad flight, plenty of people are affected. On a recent flight, the dinner service was delayed to the poor organisation by the cabin crew in my section - no problems I thought.


As I was in the centre aisle, I was easily able to judge the time lapse between service within the port/starboard aisles; I can live with that. On my connecting flight before, the cabin crew brought out the wrong meal, naturally I never said anything and thought nothing of it, but a trend was emerging.

The starboard aisle was served first, they had actually finished eating their meals when our meals in the port aisle arrived. So when my meal choice was temporarily unavailable, I thought nothing of it as it happens, they just quickly grab another meal from a cart in a different section, only takes a couple of minutes. 

However, when my meal request actually arrived, even the port aisle had finished eating and I had been sitting there patiently waiting - the only person eating in my whole section about to start my meal.

I had been working on my laptop computer prior to the meal service, I packed it up in preparation for the service and was sitting there waiting for them as I would be unable to move properly when the meal actually came to pack up and stow my computer - so it was pretty disruptive for me. The person in the seat next to me had finished her meal and started back working on her computer while I watched on still waiting.

When the cart was finally wheeled down the port aisle; I requested a drink and I was acknowledged only to be forgotten for the person in the next row, that is when I asked again, it was like I was ignored - still no food, I just wanted a drink while waiting. 

This sounds like a first world problem - it probably is; however, it is not what you expect from Singapore Airlines. So when my meal arrived, my glass of wine was empty, a request for another glass of wine is not unreasonable in the circumstances.

Regardless, if I make a reasonable and polite request, don't ignore me and certainly don't roll your eyes at my request. I never complained once, not when you forgot my meal, my drink, my bread which I never received at all, my coffee and finally the desert.

However, you have to remember that I have paid good money for this service that is attached to this ticket; this is not a budget airline and you expect them to honour their advertising. It these days of strong competition, you would expect a full-cost carrier like Singapore Airlines to provide higher levels of service to justify their ticket cost - they are certainly not doing that. 

They are behaving like a budget airline and not a full cost carrier, I am now seriously considering changing carriers when flying in Asia, this is happening all too often with Singapore Airlines. I don't complain to staff, I change carriers and support their opposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment