Pages

Saturday 31 October 2015

Google Chrome

I have really taken to the Google Chrome browser, not only have I downloaded to every device at home and work, I notice my friends and colleagues also utilise the browser too. As I share computers in a teaching and learning environment, I download the program onto every computer in every classroom I utilise.


Once upon a time, Microsoft's Internet Explorer dominated web searches and came loaded on every MS Windows driven computer, now Microsoft's dominance is definitely waning. This is great news, the Chrome browser is simple and efficient, the advantage is once you are signed into one service, you have access to all of Google's products. I show a short educational Youtube clip, I quickly search my favourites for future classes, preparation time is significantly reduced.

I only wish the IT department was so service driven, my workplace programs require multiple log in procedures and countless password changes. This is actually less secure as there is no way to remember every combination as your passwords change monthly and you are unable to use previous versions.

The solution? Keep written versions close at hand so you can enter the password quickly with most colleagues utilising post it notes stuck to their screen - how secure is that? To even print a page, you need to log into the multi-function printer to print a page, you can imagine a cluster of post it notes are pasted to the wall alongside the printer.

The browser is compatible with every page I download, it hardly freezes up, not like all the issues I had with MS Internet Explorer. When I log in, all my links, favourites and history immediately appears, my browser is customised for my use - this is so efficient. The browser is fast, I am able to search my history for previous searches and downloads, I also keep documents and pdf downloads on Google Drive for reference material.

Instead of keeping hard copy versions of reference books at work, just log in and open a pdf version of a reference book, I no longer need to carry USB drives everywhere loaded with all my information. My only issue is to remember to log out when I am finished - even an old school hack like me can remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment