Pages

Saturday 20 February 2021

Costing a job opportunity

These are pretty damning numbers from CareerOne; poor interview etiquette is costing job opportunities, with that comes personal likability. We are in a tight job market, getting shortlisted is difficult enough in this current subdued economic environment, let alone actually picking up the prized position you have applied for.


This tends to indicate that the job candidate held the necessary skills and experience to win the job but somehow managed to sabotage themselves through their conduct.

I was not shortlisted for a government position; now anyone who has worked in the government service knows a very formal process exists. This is primarily to stamp out the nepotism that has occurred in the past preventing talented personnel moving forward and instead protecting the well connected already embedded in the organisation.

What really happens is the management place their person of choice in the position in an acting role; they are required by law to advertise the position externally and potential candidates are required to dislodge the incumbent from their position.

The day I formally lodged my grievance application, I immediately noticed the organisation's lawyer and lead investigator viewing my LinkedIn profile. No doubt they had also taken the time to view my Facebook, Google+, Tumblr, Pintrest accounts and blog to build a case against me.

Notwithstanding, I was immediately concerned at this development, this organisation was treating me like a criminal as I was now required to defend myself against their accusations.

Rapidly flicking through my Facebook account, did I have anything posted that would implicate myself? I wasn't too concerned about LinkedIn, it is a professional networking site and you generally don't post anything defamatory or engage in idle chit chat.

Facebook on the other hand is the social networking site you post drunken statements about footy games, that include team selection, umpiring decisions, any current racism and drug or rule changes.

Then you have to think, what inflammatory videos have I posted in the past? Are they likely to incriminate me in any way, shape or form that is inconsistent with the values of their organisation? Job hunting is rapidly changing - that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment