Pages

Saturday 19 December 2020

The Oris Divers Sixty-Five

The Oris site tells us that the Oris Divers Sixty-Five shares the retro looks of the 1960s original and enhanced with 21st century watchmaking techniques. 1960s inspired timepieces are currently very popular, especially rugged series divers watches, but I wonder is this is just a fad like over-sized watches.

Unfortunately for me, I incorrectly thought there are no Oris dealers in Perth so I had to check out their timepieces when I am overseas. This wasn't an issue for me as I'm able to check out their watches without the pressure to purchase.

For some unexplained reason, I fell less stress browsing overseas than I do in Australia despite receiving no sales staff pressure despite making the bulk of my purchases in Australia. I then found Hardy Brothers Jewellers in King Street and JR Duty Free at the international airport are dealers. 

The 01 733 7707 4064-07 4 20 18 reference is the 40 mm stainless steel case housing the 733 self-winding automatic movement with bi-directional red Oris rotor, a 36 mm case is available too for smaller wrists. The Oris Divers Sixty-Five is fitted with the Sellita SW200-1 base movement with 4 Hz frequency at 28,800 BPH.

This is a workhorse movement that is gaining a strong reputation although some watchmakers would argue the finish isn't as great as the ETA 2824-2, if you have a display case-back then the movement finish is usually pretty good.

The 26 jewel movement holds a 38 hour power reserve displaying three hands and the date window at the 6 o'clock position. Unlike the Aquis Date, the Oris Divers Sixty-Five isn't fitted with a display case-back to showcase the movement.

The band may be either a black rubber, three link stainless steel, leather or textile; I think my preference would be a NATO strap although I have seen a number of rubber bands on the Oris looking pretty special.

I cannot understand why anyone would want a leather strap on a dive watch, I am a diver and I take my watch diving with me not leaving it in the hotel room or in my dry bag on the boat running the risk of being stolen.

The Oris Divers Sixty-Five is a nice style watch drawing on the watchmaking history to offer a fairly versatile timepiece meeting their customer's needs. I am pretty sure this is their timepiece in most demand, this is based on online comments and conversations with retailers.

No comments:

Post a Comment