Pages

Tuesday 25 February 2020

Back working for the government

This isn't how I envisioned how this would go, the dream mining job at Tenke Fungurume Mining was a bust, the Chinese owners pretty much destroyed this job, so I returned home.


So all white expats were demobolised, non-white expats such as South Americans and Asians were allowed to stay on. The Congolese nationals were exempt from job losses at this point. Some white expats were willing to take substantial pay cuts to stay on, but we were told no white people were to remain onsite after Christmas regardless of cost.

This had nothing to do with pay rates otherwise the Chinese would have accepted the lower pay rates - they were very clear that they didn't want any white people on site. So where did that leave me? I was to return to my former workplace, the work environment I despised and staff I hated.

I spent a week looking for work before calling up the manager, fortunately they were chronically understaffed so I was welcomed back. This was because I reduced the burden on them and reduced their requirement for overtime. I knew the job and was proficient in application; this dramatically reduced their workload so they can't complain even if they don't like me personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment