Pages

Tuesday 23 July 2019

Employed as a technical coordinator

After a successful career in training and assessment, I decided to undertake a return to industry initiative to reacquaint myself with the real world of mobile mining equipment maintenance instead of just discussing it in a classroom setting.


But in all honesty, my decision was mostly get out of la la land that the public sector has become. All of a sudden I was applying the knowledge and skills I learnt during my business studies, it felt like a huge awakening - I feel empowered.

I was already paid at the highest rate in my government training role, this I achieved through a highly competitive merit selection process that involved a high failure rate. I achieved both levels in minimum time on first attempts - pretty much unheard of based on my observations in this particular workplace.

I believe this experience equipped me to perform the role of coordinator; however, this is an unusual role as I have supervisory duties as an expat. I wasn't not even sure what a coordinator's duties were as they run parallel to the national workforce.

I know what I did all day though, I was busy throughout the day but I don't think it is exactly as the job description stated and activity without results is actually rather meaningless. Really, what I’m doing is a technical adviser, that suits me fine as a coordinator's role should be all about getting results.

No comments:

Post a Comment