Pages

Tuesday 16 July 2019

Back in the mining industry

I have been out of the mining industry for around fourteen years, I had enough of being sent away for extended periods and was looking forward to being home every night. I could go to the football in winter, sail in summer and spend time at the family holiday house just south of Perth.


I enjoyed my time away from the industry I spent more than a decade in, but it was time to step back into my former employment. What I learned is I wasn't as up to date with current industry practices and knowledge as I had hoped although as I already had a solid foundation, it didn't take long to get back to speed.

Sure, I had to live away from home in remote areas, I had to be dictated to in just about every facet of life. I was back to the regimented life getting out of bed early, eating at a mess and limiting alcohol intake due to daily employment checks on the breathalyzer.

I actually enjoyed re-engaging the mining lifestyle, I was living on a new continent with new cultures to learn and immerse myself in. Sure, there was a language issue to overcome, this particular site was dual French/English but we had enough English speakers to get the message across.

An overseas assignment is an excellent way to return to the mining industry. I am happy with where I am in my life right now, I don't really need the money but I have no complaints, the extra income is appreciated and I am enjoying the challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment