Pages

Thursday 18 July 2019

A rough touchdown

Sitting in the centre aisle seat tapping away on my Samsung tablet, I wasn't paying much attention to my surrounding environment. I was taking only a few glances out of the window of the Ethiopian Airlines 787 Dreamliner as we came into Changi Airport - boy, was I in for a shock.


We touched the tarmac with a large jolt, that certainly got everyone’s attention - it got mine. It was raining as we dropped through the clouds so it is difficult to see even out of even the larger Dreamliner windows. Despite surrounded by cloud until the last moment, I should have been paying better attention.

I always leave my seatbelt on just loosely when flying and tighten it for just take-off and landing. This time I forgot, as the aircraft skidded on the wet runway as the pilot applied the brakes remarkably hard. I shot forward into the seat in front; needless to say, I was starting to regret my inattention to my seat belt adjustment.

Still, no damage sustained, my head didn't slam into the seatback so I learned my lesson, pay attention to safety issues. The rough touchdown should have been an indicator of what was to come, I was surprised when I shouldn't have been. I am a frequent flyer so this should have been no surprise to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment