Pages

Saturday 6 May 2017

Prostate cancer awareness

I was sent a message requesting me to post on my Facebook newsfeed a pre-written about spiel promoting prostate cancer awareness by a cut and paste message. I thought about it and reckon people really don't take notice of these generic messages as their Facebook feeds are already cluttered. I thought I could do a little better raising awareness of prostate cancer symptoms by finding an infographic and promoting to a wider audience.


The most common symptom is difficulty urinating with a weak urine flow, I know this well not from a enlarged prostate but countless kidney procedures with what my urologist explains as caused by instrumentation scaring. Still not great but much better than the alternatives. These symptoms are pretty well known, but moving to erectile dysfunction, blood in urine or semen, a loss of bladder control, pelvic discomfort and bone pain paints a pretty break picture of what could occur.


So doing just a little research, I found out the early stages of prostate cancer are relatively symptom free - now that is a real issue. This was supported by a doctor friend who contracted prostate cancer and was treated in the early stages of the disease. I commented that it was lucky he is a doctor and picked this cancer up early, he replied that this was not the case; he only found out due to having to undertake a medical exam for a proposed trip to Antarctica. It goes to show that even well trained medical professionals have difficulty in picking up the early stages of this disease.

2 comments:

  1. I think that you should get the thumbs up for bringing attention to this important topic. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, this was an idea of a friend of mine, Brent is pretty civically minded. I just hope I can do my part for awareness as well.

      Delete