Pages

Thursday 3 November 2016

An 2006 Evans & Tate chardonnay

I was able to purchase through my wine dealer three cartons of 2006 Evans & Tate Margaret River chardonnay after the shipment that was destined for export fell through. Instead of the standard screw top, these export bottles came complete with corks for the United States market.


Naturally they were trying to move their inventory quickly and the price reflected this. I also purchased a carton for my brother and a carton for my father, they fortunately knocked their consignment off pretty quick. Ok, so I have cheap chardy, so what?

The tasting notes indicated a bright pale straw colour with notes of cashew, yeast lees and unripe pineapple and nectarines, a crisp acid backbone and unripe nectarine linger in the aftertaste. It was a pretty good drop, I was more than happy with my purchase.

My only concern was that the cellaring potential extended to 2009, on the eve of 2016, I still had a few bottles left and my concern was this chardy may have gone past their prime. Yep, the chardy was still drinking well in December 2015 when I finally knocked off the last of my bottles. This was an excellent drop for a hot summer Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment