Pages

Saturday 12 September 2015

OpenOffice

What a great open source office suite this software program is; OpenOffice is based on StarOffice software purchased by Sun Microsystems for internal use. Naturally, OpenOffice software is a competitor for Microsoft's Office Suite and I hope more businesses get on board to support the product.


The program is good, whilst compatibility issues are still present one hopes businesses are willing to take the program on board and run with it. Microsoft have traditionally held the absolute market share, new entrants to the market have the opportunity to erode the market dominance of Microsoft. It is not that I am a Microsoft hater, I just want to see competition in the market, in fact, I am a huge fan of what the Bill Gates Foundation has achieved in regards to philanthropy and social justice.
  

I like the program, it is simple, reliable and works well. Not only that, it creates competition in the market and whilst I envision big businesses maintaining Microsoft products, the real driver could be small to medium businesses driving the program support.  

No comments:

Post a Comment