Pages

Tuesday 1 September 2015

Corporate finance - will I ever really use this?

Writing about my MBA experience, I try to reflect on what I have done and what I am attempting to achieve. Somehow I managed to fumble my way through the corporate finance unit, I even received a 65% credit; yet, I would feel less than comfortable in working in a actual finance environment. 


I get the feeling this is one of the units I have to get through and in my case; hopefully to never to use this skill set again. Sure I have utilised finance principles in my personal business dealings, doing this for someone else is a whole new ball game for me.

This is by far the hardest unit I have undertaken; I am relieved this ordeal is over and I hope I don't have to undertake anything like this in the future. As I seek to relaunch my management career from the private sector to the state government payroll, I am wondering if I will ever use such skills as a mid-level manager. 

I have gained a new respect for corporate finance practitioners; this would be a tough full-time role with tons of analysts packed in offices working diligently for the large stockbroking, banking and finance companies.

In many respects, I am glad I am way too old to break into this industry; I am just hoping be am able to hold my own in meetings in the future and not embarrass myself too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment