Pages

Thursday 3 September 2015

Diving with a snorkel

I hate snorkels, I don't think I have dived with one in 20 years. When I started scuba diving; like most new participants I had one mounted on my mask until I worked out how much it annoyed me.


I don't recall the point I took the snorkel off my mask, there was no defining moment for me. I had started out, like all new divers following the rules that had been laid out in my open water course, blindly following what I was told to do.

The snorkel has entanglement issues, this has the potential to break the seal on the mask causing flooding, I have seen time and time again freshly minted divers confuse their snorkel with their inflator - a serious buoyancy issue. Yet why do scuba certification agencies such as PADI maintain as a requirement that divers in training must wear snorkels?

No comments:

Post a Comment