Pages

Saturday 10 January 2015

Just worry about your dive - not mine

This is not the first time this has happened to me, nor will it be the last. On this occasion, I was diving on the LST wreck in Subic Bay Philippines. 


We had a full boat and the skill level wasn't high, we were having difficulty gearing up, I quickly threw my gear on and back rolled off the boat freeing up room for the other guys to prepare. So, I swam forward and began my descent down the line, there is no way I will bob around on the surface getting sun burnt while these guys move in slow motion.

We were the second boat in line, another dive shop had divers in the water so I swam forward below the surface, I didn't descent full depth as the wreck has some depth attached and I didn't want to be burning my no-deco time up unnecessarily. As the mooring line is fixed, the diameter of the rope is reasonably sized and sports a fair degree of growth, I was happy to descend and look for interesting life on the line.

These guys took ages gearing up, I'm glad I was in-water and not on the boat or sitting on the surface. I slowly worked my way down the line pretty interested interested in the marine growth on the line, I was at 18 metres now and 15 minutes into the dive and getting a annoyed at this stage. 

I saw the bubbles arrive at the ascent line and two guys with a double set-up and stages for deco appeared. They made their first gas switch at depth and began their descent, then all the hand signals started, where is you buddy, get with your buddy.I

'm hovering near the line, no need to hang on, buoyancy is fine, breathing rate slow, no kicking to maintain buoyancy and no erratic movements to indicate that maybe I knew what I'm doing. 

They were clearly in deco, it wasn't a simulation and they need to concentrate on their ascent, not worry about what I'm doing, I'm fine, thanks - now bugger off. His ascent wasn't going that well, his wing bladder was over pressurised and his ascent too fast.

Maybe I need to swim down and release some air from his buoyancy control device, after all, I had no decompression obligation at that point. Apart from annoy me - what could they do anyway? Nothing, that's right so just get on with your dive and leave me to mine - I don't answer to these dickheads.

No comments:

Post a Comment