Pages

Thursday 1 January 2015

In memory of Dennis Baker

It is with much regret I reflect on the mentoring abilities of the late Dennis Baker. I had joined Polytechnic West as a lecturer with a 20 years engineering experience and 5 years training experience.


Due to the fact I held vocational qualifications, training & assessment qualifications and training experience, I was not assigned a formal mentor. This proved to be a difficult transition to to learn the organisation and its systems, for this reason, I have also mentored new employees.

Dennis was a principal lecturer in the organisation, that is to the layperson is a highly skilled lecturer who advises lecturing staff on issues such as classroom practice, curriculum development, training delivery and alternative delivery strategies.

Dennis was a strong advocate of lifelong learning, a fitter and machinist by trade, Dennis had achieved a Masters degree in Training and Development from the University of New England in Armidale, New South Wales. Dennis heavily influenced my decision to seek further tertiary qualifications.

I had already completed my graduate diploma from an Australian college allowing me to apply for an advanced skills lecturer position, this is a reasonably difficult proposition in the organisation.

I had sought Dennis' counsel on how best to succeed on the written and practical applications; this after all was Dennis' area of expertise. A number of team members had previously applied for the limited positions; spectacularly failing in the process.

When I sought expert advice; Dennis was the go-to man, his knowledge of vocational education and training was extraordinary. Now having gained my advanced skills lecturer; I now seek further progression through the ranks.

I remember a conversation with Dennis in a vehicle on route to a meeting with a client. Dennis felt an ASL 2 was the best position in the college followed by the principal lecturer.

This was not lost on me as I was a) being informed by one of the better principal lecturers in the college and b) seeking to move forward in the organisation. Dennis is a guy who is sorely missed, apart from his extraordinary working knowledge, he was an all round good guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment