Pages

Saturday 22 March 2014

Hanging in Amed

When heading on my yearly pilgrimage to Bali, I avoid Kuta as much as I can. The peaceful lifestyle I can experience up on Bali's east coast makes my trip worthwhile, I am here to relax, leaving the stress of my employment at home.


I work as a lecturer at a vocational college developing engineering tradespeople for industry. For undertaking professional development in my own time, I am awarded an extra week at the end of the teaching period so Bali is my usual destination - I refer to it as my short holiday.


The week before Christmas is my unwind period, I always return to spend Christmas with the family and then engage in normal post festive season activities. I see this as a free holiday as that week is in recognition of all the extra work throughout the year, it would be a shame to waste it away.


Ironically, as I study at a university utilising a trimester system, I bring my assignments, reference books and prescribed reading with me. I am still undertaking my uni work during this period, where else would be a better place to undertake study anyway?


Amed is an area not well patronised by Australians, Europeans and British prefer Amed with its picturesque bays, rocky coastline and green foliage, well it is green during the wet season at Christmas. There are no real bars, definitely no nightclubs, bar girls or nightlife - it is a room close to the water listening to the breaking waves.


Daytime activities include diving coral reefs, the Liberty wreck at nearby Tulamben, eating out at the many small restaurants and cafes and driving around visiting the local villages. Some people turn their noses up at Bali, I prefer not to be a destination snob, getting out of the Kuta trap and interacting with the locals is a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment