Pages

Sunday 9 February 2014

Schapelle Corby's parole

Schapelle Corby is soon to be released from Bali's Kerobakan prison after being paroled for drug trafficking, she has not been out of the news since her 2004 arrest and 2005 trial. Sentenced to twenty years imprisonment for attempting to smuggle 4.2 kg of marijuana into Indonesia, her sentence has been reduced on numerous occasions prior to her parole - this was big news in Australia driven partly by the 24/7 news cycle and the notion that this could be me.


Is she innocent or is she guilty? I have absolutely no idea, I am sure there are only a hand full of people actually know the answer. What I do know is she has sold newspapers, magazines and books as well as online media and lots of advertising space. A tele-movie is soon to be played on Australian television prime time Sunday night promising to tell the true story - I, for one won't be watching. Will they try to convince us she is as guilty as hell or will they go the miscarriage of justice route with the Indonesian corruption playing the decisive factor?

What I do know is that we have no right to accuse the Indonesians of corruption or mock their justice system as ours is far from perfect. The Indonesian system prescribes harsh punishment whereas the Australian system is too lenient allowing convicted drug dealers, smugglers and users straight back out into the community where they commit further crimes.

What concerns me is the manipulation by the media convincing the community at large of the media driven perspective - I have no idea what is fact, what is half truths and what is pure manipulation. I just know I turned off back in 2005 when this overexposed trial flooded our news outlets in their blanket coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment