Pages

Tuesday 11 February 2014

Postwrap on Bruce's second Perth concert

Walking out of Bruce’s concert, I had mixed feelings. After three decades of waiting – was this concert worth the wait? For me - the short answer is no. Now, some people will never be entirely happy, since I am handing over my hard earned cash - I am entitled to an opinion and I wasn't as happy as I thought I would be. I can't say I was impressed with the song list, I viewed the set lists from Wednesday and Saturday nights and wished I had been there Saturday night, Friday night was not the night for me.


Bruce stated in an interview before the concerts that as a surprise, to keep things interesting, he would change the set list around between concerts. It certainly was a surprise, but since he has never toured Perth before we can safely say the majority of punters had never seen a Springsteen concert. It kept the set list for interesting for Bruce and the band but that's about it - much has been said about what has been left of the set list.


Bruce has plenty of albums to draw material from, if you are a fan of the Born in the USA album, Friday night was sure to disappoint. With the exception of Dancing in the Dark, the album wasn't represented at all. I checked the song list from Saturday night and saw that Saturday was the night for me. For many of the Bruce Springsteen fans, the age group that he draws from in Perth were introduced to his music from that album. 

We never got to see the 1985 Born in the USA tour as Perth was left off the tour destinations. Likewise, the 2003 The Rising and 2013 Wrecking Ball tours boycotted Perth as well. Tickets were extremely hard to come by, I was lucky enough to purchase ticket for the first Perth show, this was the Friday night concert, a second concert was then announced on Saturday night as the show sold out in quick time with a third concert on the Wednesday night.

Third row from the back on the left hand wall was the best I could do, there wasn't many choices of seats available. As we were on a timer purchasing tickets - you take what you can, I wasn't able to purchase multiple seats so I got a single seat on my own, I was pretty thankful for that as plenty of people missed out.

The E Street band played with plenty of energy and passion, Bruce worked hard over the three hours of non-stop singing. I wanted to see Bruce Springsteen play live since his first Sydney concert back in 1985 bu was never in the right place when he played, I had already given up all hope of seeing him in Perth so I resigned to the fact that I wasn't going to see him play live a long time ago. It left me wondering, how good would it have been to see Bruce Springsteen in his prime? I will never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment