Pages

Friday 20 September 2013

Zurich in the winter

My first trip to Zurich was in the summer where I spent a fantastic 3 months enjoying all the sun this great city had to offer. My second trip turned out to be in the winter for a much shorter duration; gone was the beautiful sunny days, now replaced with delicate snowfalls - all of a sudden I actually love winter.


This was my first time in the snow - it was great watching the snowflakes fall from the sky. Four years before I had flown over the Rocky Mountains from New York to Vancouver viewing snow from the comfort of an American Airlines passenger jet.  


My second viewing was once again peering from the window of an airliner this time flying over the Snowy Mountains from Sydney to Perth.My first two sightings of snow; both from 30,000 feet - argh. I was over the age of thirty, yet to see a real snow fall instead instead restricted to long range views of snow laying on the ground.

I had spent every afternoon on my first summer trip to Zurich hiking around the wooded paths and had become accustomed to the lush green forests surrounding Neu Affoltern where I was residing.

The centre of Oerelekon was just a short bus trip after turning right heading down the hill, turning left took me to the lakes or heading up the hill and past the technical university offered great views overlooking Zurich.

For the first time in my life, I actually enjoy winter, I have found snow to be beautiful and I learned I could comfortably live in a cold climate. What have I been missing all my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment