Pages

Saturday 14 September 2013

Upper Reach winery - Swan Valley

Driving down the gravel driveway from the bitumen road as I head to Upper Reach Winery, I am always looking forward to tasting and purchasing from their fine selection of fine wines. 


Just down the road are John Kosovich Wines and Mann Wines - more great value wineries. These small producers of Perth's Swan Valley are all within a short drive of each other nestled on the banks of the meandering Swan River.


The vines maturing in the summer sun, I am still yet to attend a concert here as I sail on Saturday afternoons and just can't attend. A number of Swan Valley and Margaret River wineries have summer concerts on their grounds and notwithstanding sailing commitments. 

A summer afternoon sipping a verdelho before moving onto their black bream chardonay/verdelho blend before getting serious with their wonderful chards.

The reserve chardonnay is has been a spectacular success for Upper Reach; it is by far my favourite offering, the 2012 breaks with previous vintage traditions that had superb French vanillan oak flavours balancing their premium fruit. 

I prefer the older vintages of 2010, 2009 and 2008 with the creamy flavours; the result of the malolactic fermentation, the 2012 vintage is somewhat softer, lighter and some would say more refined.   

The selection of reds ranges from Petit Verdot, Tempranillo, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache and their Cabernet Merlot. My choice of red is the Cabernet Sauvignon followed by the Shiraz, a popular blend is their Cabernet Merlot but apart from tastings, I am yet to purchase. 

A number of times, late on a Sunday afternoon, I have sat in their restaurant enjoying a bite to eat washed down by a glass of Petit Verdot or Tempranillo overlooking the vines - Perth just made The Economist top ten livable cities and I am enjoying the lifestyle a mere 30 minutes drive from my house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment