Pages

Tuesday 2 January 2018

A busy Saturday morning

The alarm screeched interupting my sleep at 4 am, a quick shower and packing up my motel room to make sure I am on the road at 4:30 heading east of the Kalgoorlie city limits before any traffic slows me down. It is still dark and I drive carefully heading towards the rising sun as I don't want to hit any wildlife, the hire car is attached to my personal credit card and has a $4000 excess.


I arrived on site at 5:15 with time to spare as I wanted to speak to the nightshift at their 5:30 to 6:00 shift handover meeting. I also needed to meet with two of their maintenance personnel before driving back to Kalgoorlie for the morning flight to Perth. I needed to meet with the As I had missed my pervious flight, I was empthatic that this wasn't going to happen again.

I had informed the skipper of the yacht I sail on of my movements, they were to wait at the jetty until a pre-determined time and depart without me if I couldn't make the deadline. My schedule was tight but I believed I could get to Royal Perth Yacht Club on time. I was lucky to get a taxi straight away as I needed to get home, get changed out of my drill press work clothes and into my sailing whites.

Fortunately I live within a 15 minute drive away from Matilda Bay, if traffic conditions allow and I had envisioned any traffic delays I will be there on time. Dropping through the clouds as we descended, the flight was on-time so I have to quickly collect my bag from the carousel and straight to the waiting taxi - no sweat. I know I have a pretty good job when I am 600 km away and still able to get an afternoon sail in - life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment