Pages

Tuesday 19 December 2017

The Breitling Navitimer

The Breitling Navitimer is a classical timepiece featuring a unique aeronautical design for pilots. Whilst not a pilot myself, I am still able to appreciate the style and functionality of the Navitimer.


The centrepiece of the 1952 released Navitimer is the rotating bezel activating a circular slide rule allowing pilots to perform complex calculations for navigation and aeronautics. Whilst modern commercial aircraft utilise GPS and computerised avionics, the Breitling Navitimer remains a favourite timepiece of pilots and aeronautical engineers.

The slide rule is no longer required for normal commercial aviation requirements but maintains the aviation inspired heritage of pilots. I wouldn't purchase a Breitling Navitimer for only one reason and that is I'm not a wannabe pilot and don't want to be running around pretending to be something I'm not. I will leave the Navitimer to the people who have earned their flight status.

No comments:

Post a Comment