Pages

Saturday 4 June 2016

Workplace bullying

Workplace bullying is costly business not only talented people but ultimately profits. Despite recent laws coming into effect in January 2014 encouraging reporting of workplace bullying, this trend is showing no signs of abating.


A survey of Australian businesses by Drake International found more than half of survey respondents have witnessed workplace bullying with slightly over twenty five per cent reporting bullying behaviour directed towards them.

That's pretty disturbing news and it's costing Australian business billions annually, the loss of productivity is difficult to calculate with a 2012 federal government inquiry estimating costs between $6 to $36 billion.

What we do know is workplace bullying generally involves the repetitive and prolonged abuse of power in an organisation. I am loathe to say I am a victim of workplace bullying.

Yes, it is occurring but those in positions of power are finding I am a little more resilient than they expected. When the director of human resources is the leader of the bully brigade, you know you have problems in the organisation.

But this just doesn't involve just one person, I have been pulled aside and warned to cease and desist such actions with the perpetrator stating such conversations as never taking place - they will deny everything.

There has been some whistleblower activity in the strategic business unit, only one person has been named and questioned in regards to anonymous reporting - pretty sure that breaks state whistleblower laws.

So I am having a concerted effort led by those in the strategic portfolio to undermine the work I have produced, taking my name off the work and claiming the credit themselves.

The dispute relates to the award that has been lodged in the Western Australian Industrial Relations Commission and the number of positions at a higher level. I have qualified for such a position but have been prevented to apply for the position even though the award clearly states criteria.

In frustration, after roadblocks had been erected at every stage, I took the matter to the Director General of the relevant government department, after a month of investigation by the department they came back and agreed with every point I made - I was well researched.

As I am employed at a state government organisation, they amalgamated two organisations into one large organisation, the name was changed and I was concerned that they would then combine numbers of this position despite being in breach of the award for at least two years that I was aware of.

While our organisation was knowingly and willingly more than 25% below the required number, the other organisation was possibly above ratio leaving me nowhere to go.

Apparently the other organisation wasn't a regressive as us - guess which human resources director was hired? So now I am off to the Western Australian Industrial Relations Commission to have the case heard.

They know they are in breach of the certified agreement that was ratified in the commission yet they will make me try the case in the hope that I lose my nerve or make a fundamental mistake.

Possibly they are going to drag the case out in an attempt to drain my resources or will, either way, they are abusing their power when they know they have a losing case - this is unethical.

So after 20 years working in the private sector, I have now been employed 10 years in the public sector and have learnt that working hard and being competent in your job counts for nothing.

The government sector is all about avoiding work, taking credit for other people's work and forming alliances with other like minded people. Team work - you have to be joking.

No comments:

Post a Comment