Pages

Thursday 30 June 2016

Tulamben wreck diving

On trips to Bali, a drive up the island to the small village of Tulamben from the more developed areas of Kuta, Legian or Seminyak always results in a couple of dives. I have always thought this was a Liberty class ship of WWII; mistakenly named as the Liberty - I was wrong.


I have have only just learnt that the ship is in fact named the USAT Liberty, a cargo vessel nonetheless as a Design 1037 type and launched in 1918, there was close to 50 of this ship type constructed. This ship was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine in January 1942 and run aground in Tulumben where the ship was unloaded, a 1963 volcanic eruption pushed the ship into the water to sit in its current resting place.     


Walking in from the shore, the site quickly drops off to 20 metres and extending out to 30 metres. The site drops deeper, but there is no reason for chasing further depth as the areas of interest sit around the 20 metre depth. This is one of the premier dive sites in Bali, I would recommend this dive to all of my friends and I don't mind diving this wreck over and over.

1 comment:

  1. I'll take your recommendation. I want to see and experience Bali. We're just 2 weeks away from experiencing wreck diving in PNG and after that we'll head to Bali to experience what you're sharing. Thanks for this friend.

    ReplyDelete