Pages

Saturday 24 February 2018

Pewsey Vale Riesling

I love Pewsey Vale Riesling, I was introduced to it by my old man when we sit out in the back garden on a Friday night. I can't say I'm a huge fan of Eden Valley reds, but their dry whites are high on my list as a pretty good example of warm climate wines.


On Friday, instead of driving my car to work I catch two trains and a bus from my place to work and two buses to my parents house after work. Whilst I could be hitting the city on a Friday, I enjoy the time with my family and wouldn't swap it for anything. I know I will be having a few drinks and this is the responsible way to prevent drink driving by planning ahead.

So what I do now is send cartons of wine from my supplier straight to my parents house as my father has been retired for over twenty years and I am still pulling a salary - simple economics really. But in typical old man style, he likes to pick up the bill all the time so I have to make sure I am paying my way. So when I go to the wine rack or refrigerator I try to select something that I purchased so I don't drain his stocks.

However, if I find a bottle of Pewsey Vale Riesling in the refrigerator - all bets are off. When I was researching this riesling I logged onto the Pewsey Vale website and was surprised to find they had four rieslings in their range. Now I had the embarrassing task of finding the one I liked, not such an easy task I found out. I like dry white wine and Pewsey Vale sits well on the dryness factor, yet still exhibits fruit and character.

So, to the tasting notes; according to Pewsey Vale this riesling exhibits dried herbs, white flowers with lemon and lime overtures. Ok, I get the zesty citrus flavours but would never have described white flowers as a taste and seemed to miss the dried herbs. However, I feel this is more complex than pure citrus flavours so what would replace the dried herb aroma?

I'm struggling now to describe the aroma and instead move on to the palate with tropical fruit, astringent acidity keeping the flavours in check with a fine balance of the pale straw coloured white wine with twinges of green hues. They recommend enjoying with salt and pepper squid, natural oysters, seared scallops or a Thai beef salad or like me just enjoy this wine on a warm summer Friday night with good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment