Pages

Saturday 25 February 2017

The Longines HydroConquest

The Longines HydroConquest, a stunning dive timepiece from Swiss watchmaker Longines is sometimes overshadowed by well known dive watches such as the Rolex Submariner, the Omega Seamaster or the TAG Heuer Aquaracer.


Without researching watches, you are not able to objectively compare the features, style, differentiating factors or pricing of each individual timepiece. In the initial stages of research for the purposes of comparison, price is not a factor - naturally that changes as you begin to eliminate timepieces.

I was looking to upgrade my dive watch as I have a quartz and I wanted an automatic, a somewhat unusual situation as I dive exclusively with a dive computer these days. Still, I enjoy a high quality dive watch and want a dive capable timer. 

When I'm overseas diving as I would prefer to keep my watch with me and not left in the hotel room or on the boat. I researched an Omega Seamaster Diver 300, the TAG Heuer Aquaracer and the Longines HydroConquest with the Omega being the most expensive and the Longines the least expensive.

I do like the style of the Longines, so I spent some time at a number of watch retailers to get a feel of the watch, you can undertake plenty of online research but you can't beat the feel of the watch sitting on your wrist. 

From the screw in crown, 300 metre water resistant case, screw in case back, scratch resistant sapphire crystal glass with anti-reflective coating, this timepiece is well built. 

Looking at all the images online, I wasn't able to determine if the bezel was ceramic, it wasn't until I wandered down a watch retailer to try one on and I found the bezel is not ceramic so that is negative as both the Omega Diver 300 and TAG Heuer Aquaracer are fitted with ceramic bezels.

The uni-directional bezel, Arabic numerals on the face, luminous hands and a H-link bracelet and locking clasp - this is definitely a dive watch. You have a choice of movements with an ETA automatic or a quartz. 

This is a quality watchmaker with a long heritage of manufacturing stylish timepieces at very competitive prices. Ultimately, I went with the Aquaracer but the value for money of the HydroConquest made the decision so much harder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment