Pages

Saturday 22 October 2016

Smoking kills you if you are unaware

A recent Facebook post by a former high school friend was less than confronting, she was informed by an emergency doctor that she is dying and needs to give up smoking. She also added on her post, it's hard. What I was unable to determine from her post was, is being confronted with death hard or giving up smoking is hard?


She is about 45 years old and from my estimates smoking from about 15 years of age; so she has been smoking for around 30 years. Is she really finding it difficult giving up a 30 year habit or the threat of premature death brought about by 30 years of smoking difficult? 

We all stack on the kgs as we age due to metabolic factors, you can exercise for a lesser effect in your fourties as opposed to your thirties and twenties. At some stage, you need to take your health seriously as you don't bounce back as you did in your early twenties. I really hope she does give up smoking and gives herself the best chance at a long life, I fear the damage has already been done. 


What I do know is she has never exercised a day in her life, she always ate poorly and was extremely lazy. As far as I can tell, she was always grossly overweight; she has been obese all her adult life. 
This lifestyle coupled with smoking doesn't promote a long life so whilst it may appear I am somewhat belligerent with her medical issues, this isn't the case. However, I do ask myself, what did she think was going to happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment