Pages

Saturday 8 August 2015

The need for learning organisational behaviour

I didn't need this unit to complete my leadership degree, I chose this unit purely for the insights that undertaking organisational behaviour affords me, this was an extra unit and just means I undertook for this personal knowledge. The unit will count towards my GPA but not for the minimum number of units, this is just extra work and extra money, but why?


I unfortunately deal with a manager in title only, he is nothing more than an overpaid bookkeeper; in a drive to increase efficiency, they should pay a junior to do his bookkeeping job and restructure the strategic portfolio as a self-managed team. If my manager had undertaken organisational behaviour, the organisational culture issues we now face would have never manifest themselves in such a manner. How could one person be so inept at managing a bunch of decent, motivated, knowledgeable and performing people?

He needs to take a contemporary management unit, then a human resources unit, but, one step at a time. I may never know, how could this person firstly get this job but more importantly, how does he keep it? There have been rumours circulating of him holding polaroid pictures of the director and a goat; that's probably not true, it's more likely to be a married woman with excessive facial hair growth.

The fact is, the strategic portfolio is very successful from the hard and dedicated work of the team, well before he came on the scene. It does gall me that he is now taking credit for its success; he has no shame whatsoever. The fact that this fool does very little is actually a bonus, the more he touches, the more he messes up. So his hands off lassiz faire mode of operation, although not planned actually works in our favour. I have named him lassiz faire Larry, the admin staff know him eloquently as lay down Larry.

I work in the government now after twenty years in private enterprise, I am still amazed that these people can luck out in a management position, don't try to pull stunts like that in private enterprise. Every government manager should be qualified to management level with organisational behaviour forming a mandatory unit of the qualification - they still might be useless, but now they might understand why.

No comments:

Post a Comment