Pages

Tuesday 9 June 2015

Daesh - just pathetic losers who murder

I was watching CNN whilst on holiday, I don't normally have access to cable television, so CNN is kind of a novelty for me. The topic was IS, ISIL or ISIS, whatever you wish to know them as. I must say, I did enjoy the analysis from the American perspective in short holiday bursts as it is not a news station I usually have access too, but you do have to be careful where you gain your news from.


A Pentagon spokesman explained the name that is now used for the Islamic State (IS), Islamic State Iraq Syria (ISIS), or Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) is Daesh. I guess this makes some sense, this isn't an actual state and they are a hard core bunch of self-named terrorists. However, there is some truth in the term Levant as this is a historical geographic region and this threat to humanity needs to be taken seriously.


Daesh did gain a whole lot of territory very quickly during the leadership vacuum of Syria brought on by the civil war and the ousting of Saddam Hussein by coalition forces, so they gave the appearance of success. This appears to be short-lived yet the threat remains, should they actually be successful here, they will gain traction and become entrenched in the region for a long time.

1 comment: