Pages

Sunday 31 August 2014

Improving my health on the road

I'm 10 - 15kg overweight now after living an unsustainable existence for the last few years working full-time and studying part-time.


I finally have broken the shackles on this overseas trip, not eating snack food whilst locking myself indoors all weekend to read textbooks, academic papers, pour over research and writing assignments to the early hours of the morning.

I had an ad hoc exercise regime at best; it was pretty ineffective really, just wasted money on a gym membership. Was all the study worth it? Too early to tell just yet, in the future, maybe. I still have a further two units to complete in 2015.

It will only be one unit per trimester so not so arduous now, I have broken the back of the task, over the hump and on the downhill run. What I can't allow is myself to be drawn down this path again; I need balance starting with a healthy lifestyle, plenty of rest and recreation overcoming the total exhaustion my life had become.

I am still drinking wine and coffee; yet I don't require daily Mylanta tablets in the mid-morning around 10:30 am to 11:00 am and sometimes an afternoon one around 3:30 pm to 4:00 pm. So what has changed?

I would say stress; while not an expert opinion on the matter, I have no research or empirical evidence to back up my claims, the results seem to speak for themselves. The one component removed from this equation is work related stress - now all I need to do is ensure it doesn't creep into my life again.

No comments:

Post a Comment