Pages

Friday 18 July 2014

Waiting for uni results

For me, the wait is over, uni results posted and I am unhappy again. Planning long service leave saw me firstly select a unit with a written exam, ok, buggered up, unenrolled and selected a unit requiring assignments, case studies and projects for assessment instead.


This way I could rush through, finish early and head off for three and a half months break, no supervised exams to attend. Logic sound flawed - ah, yeah.

Ok, I submitted three weeks early, rushing through and not following the program. I have become arrogant in my preparation, accustomed to credits as a standard mark, if I prepare better, I get better results.

I took two units, actually difficult when working full-time, then there was the medical procedures, a heart catherisation and knee investigation. That cost plenty of money and burnt up finances rapidly - a different kind of pain.

So where did I go wrong? Arrogance, yes - absolutely, poor preparation - yes, not following the program - yes, attitude - again yes and finally medical distractions. I would like to say yes to medical distractions, but then I will make the same mistake after my intermission.

A contributing factor, sure, stress at work also but that didn't affect the result. I had a small business, I was marketing that product, I knew the course material, I should have easily passed, I have applied that discipline in the workplace.

The question then needs to be asked, did I apply marketing solutions in the workplace context to a competent level? I would say yes, however, I was more concerned with business plans, strategy, HR and operations more so than marketing the business.

Of course, spending a fair amount of time with clients, creating marketing materials and presentations. 

The benefit of a university education is to be exposed to the principles, methodology and process of developing high quality strategies receiving feedback from a quality source. After all, anyone can go out and purchase a textbook and make a start for themselves, constructive feedback is what makes higher education worthwhile.

The real outcomes of the unit was to create an integrated marketing mix, analyse feedback and improve results, did I really achieve the course goals? I did actually deserve the mark I was given despite my annoyance, I passed but wasted my money as I didn't learn what I was supposed to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment