Pages

Saturday 25 January 2014

Bali cockfighting

On a trip to Bali's east coast, we were driving up a valley for the wonderful views looking down the valley towards the sea. We noticed a large ring of men jostling for position and decided to investigate. As we drew closer, it was apparent a cockfight was taking place.


I have spent a fair amount of time in parts of Asia/Pacific over the years and was invited to many cockfights. I always declined as this sport is cruel and barbaric, it is, of course not a sport but a fight to the death with a razor sharp knife strapped to the left leg of the bird. I had always thought the knife was strapped to the right leg but since this was the first time I had seen a live fight, I stand corrected.


I have viewed cockfights on television when I have been in the Philippines, yes, a cockfight is really televised there - I kid you not. Now apart from the fact that this is really boring, there are plenty of people getting excited about this with a whole ritual taking place with standing the cocks up straight, getting them aggressive, pecking at each other before they are launched into the contest.


The aftermath is the death or severe wounding of a bird, they may break them up and relaunch at each other until the loser is incapacitated. The loser, if still alive is put to the side flapping around with severe injuries in a cruel and callous manner.


There is betting going on, cockfighting is all about gambling - this is the cruel reality of gambling, this is really a disgrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment